Hmm…yeah I still pretty much *hate* planning the grocery list, cleaning out the fridge, going to the grocery store, and putting everything away. Then having to do it all over again the next Wednesday. So I’m trying to suck it up and just do it instead of thinking too much about it and wasting time and energy complaining.
What I’m doing well:
1) I have been printing out a weekly shopping list along with a weekly menu plan and using them.
2) I have been stocking up on chicken, turkey, and ground beef.
3) I get it done weekly (Maybe not always on Wednesdays).
Detailed Planning Process:
1) Meats: Start the grocery list by looking to see what meats we are running low on, check the fliers to see what’s on sale, and then add what I can add to my grocery list.
2) Weekly Items: These are the things I often buy on a weekly basis. Next I will check to see what we are low on or are out of and add them to the list. I have been keeping a pad on the fridge to write down these items as we run out so it saves time looking around 🙂
3) Fruits & Veggies – We eat a lot of fruit & veggie smoothies, so I like to have spinach, oranges, strawberries, grapes, watermelon, peaches, and/or bananas on hand. Ice is also a necessity. Broccoli is another weekly must have.
Last but certainly the least fun is deciding what to make! I know I should really enjoy this (after all this is half food blog), but seriously there are seven days in the week. This is the wall I hit every week…If I could just get this ready in advance then I probably wouldn’t want to bang my head against the wall.
*Putting this off = More eating out = Spending more on food and eating less healthy.
So let’s get to it:
4) Recipe Finding – Everyone has a few staple meals that they rely on from week-to-week…well I think Mike is completely sick of mine because I use them way too often. I am at the point where I need to find new staple meals 😦 So I am going to have to pull together my resources to figure this out.
a) First I should check to see what I have in stock for meat, then I can decide how many night I will be using each meat.
b) Next I will look for recipes with these types of meats or check to see what else is on sale to come up with a dish.
c) Lastly, I will fill in my weekly menu plan and Go Shopping!
To tell you the truth, I don’t mind shopping at all. I like going to the same stores and seeing the same friendly faces each week. So now it’s time for me to get planning, because after all it is Friday and I have already managed to put off this process for a couple of days 😉